Sunday, January 31, 2010

Family Fun and Running

Today we had a family day. Rich took the day off to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary (Feb 1st). Since he hasn't had anytime of since Christmas, and I know the girls really missed and needed the time with their dad, I didn't want to celebrate our anniversary alone with just the two of us. The girls had a blast in the snow, playing, sledding, and building a sort of snow man. We even shoveled the bed of the truck full of snow to bring home. It was a good, active day.

Also since Rich was home tonight I took the opportunity to go for a run. I've been wanting to run outside just to see if I could do it and if it was any easier than the treadmill. The results are:
A - I can run
B- I am slow
C - It was easier than the treadmill
D - I can only improve from here.

I ran (and walked) 1.11 miles flat, down hill and back up hill). I used mapquest to figure out my mileage. I ran as far as I could then, I looked at the address of the house when I could run no further. Came home map quested it my first sprint was .36 miles. Not too bad, much better than I've been able to do on the treadmill. Also, the hill I ran up was pretty steep, I was hoping to make it to the top running but gave in 3/4 of the way. My total time today was 15 minutes. Not too good but like I said, I can only improve from here. I've decided that I am going to run outside more often. My biggest hurdle is having someone to watch my girls because Richard works so much. I've decided that I am going to try to run the track at the high school. I know I can take my girls out there and they can play in the middle while I run. It's not as interesting as the street but I am hoping it will be better than the results I am getting then the treadmill. Now I just need to fit it in my schedule and make it part of my routine.

Oh and I can't find my food journal - 2 days now. It's probably under this mess I call my desk. Ughh. I haven't followed my diet as stringent. I'm afraid it's going to affect weigh in. I've still been making healthy choices but I know we ate out 3 times this week. Tuesday night we had Chinese food. I ate small portions and didn't get anything deep fried. Tried to focus on veggies. Friday night we went to Quiznos because I didn't cook dinner. I ordered a torpedo sandwhich - to keep my calories down. Today we had lunch at La Morenita in Cold Springs. I ordered fresco tacos with pork. They came with 2 soft corn tortillas on each taco, rice and beans. I ate both Tacos but only 2 of the 4 tortillas and half the rice and beans. I needed to eat and didn't prepare any food to bring with us to the snow. I feel like I have Crisco stuck to the top of my mouth. YUCK! I'm enjoying my diet of fresh fruits, veggies and homemade cooking. I never thought I would get to the point where my food taste better than eating out but most of the time it does.

2 comments:

  1. WTG!
    Running will get easier as you learn to pace yourself and acclimate your breathing. You'll be able to go farther.
    In my opinion, I have a pretty slow pace. Its where I am most comfortable, and what makes it more enjoyable for me.
    I use to have a faster pace, but now Im more comfortable around a 10 minute mile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In high school I could do a mile in about 7 mins. Sometimes, just under sometimes a bit over. I don't expect to get that again, and I know that was a 1 mile sprint. When running for a longer distance (multiple miles) I'd be happy with a 10 min mile :)

    ReplyDelete