Sunday, July 25, 2010

My little athlete

At last nights event, flyers for other activities were placed on my car. One of them was for the California kid's triathlon on August 8th. I cleaned out my car today bringing in several flyers. Mariyn picked them up and was looking at them talking to me about racing. I told her one of the flyers was for a kids race where you swim, bike and run in the same race. Immediately, she said, Cool, can I do it? Ahh warms my heart, my little athlete.

I asked her if she was sure she wanted to do it and talked to her about the distances. For her age it's a 50 yard swim, 1 mile bike and half mile run. I explained to her how many laps in our pool that would be then how far on the bike then how far she would have to run in terms (to places) she would understand like biking to school and back and running to her school. Of course, she would have to practice but I'm already training for my tri. She could easily tag along and train with me. Plus, her distances shouldn't be too fun. All participants get a medal and I know she thinks that is really cool.

I'm going to talk to her more about it and her dad but it looks like I have a future triathlete on my hands. After dinner, we went swimming and before I even got in the pool she swam 5 laps. I think she ended up swimming about 15 laps total. Soon, we will going biking as soon as we are done swimming just so she can see how it feels. I love my little athlete.

On a personal note, even though I slept most of the day, I swam 60 laps. 50 free style 10 back stroke.

2 comments:

  1. Awe so good for her!! If I could go back to being a little girl I would have done tri's and stayed in water polo and did more sports!! I want the boys to do triathlons too. Davey wants to do the next one I do. It will be fun! She is on her way to being a healthy adult! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many "if I could go back..." but I really think this weight journey will be part of my testimony some day. With that said, I'm glad that even though I'm over weight, I'm teaching my daughter to be healthy and love for being active. It's such a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete