Monday, July 12, 2010

Camping Yosemite - Tuolumne Meadows

We've spent the last 4 days camping in Yosemite National Park, specifically Tuolumne Meadows. We told Mariyn that we didn't want to have a big party this year for her birthday, instead we would like to take her somewhere or do something with her. She decided she would like to go camping with us and chose Yosemite. We have already been to Yosemite twice this year. It's insanely beautiful every time, such a divinely beautiful place that it is impossible to truly experience it all.

We arrived Thursday and hoped to get a first come first serve camp site. We were put on a waiting list and told to come back just before 2pm because they walk around the campsites then and count how many vacancies they have, then it's first come first serve. Well, we were number 10 on the list and they had 9 available. I was pretty nervous. Lucky for us, two people ahead of us on the list, weren't there. So we got a site. Mariyn was ecstatic. It took a while to set up camp, then we drove around and enjoyed some beautiful views. We actually drove all the way through Tioga Pass for the first time and too Mono lake. Then came back and made dinner. A herd of deer came through our campsite each night right around dinner time. So amazing!

I was really looking forward to hiking and being active with the family. Friday, was Mariyn's birthday. We got up early, sang her Happy Birthday and had cake. Then went and gathered firewood in the forest. Once we got back to camp, it was lunch time. I made lunch for the family and was cutting melon up and fell in a hole, twisting my ankle. Immediately, it started swelling, and brusing. I couldn't put any pressure on it and had to sit down. I was nearly in tears, it was so painful. Rich quickly got me ice and I started to elevate it. Amelia was getting moody and really needed a nap. So hiking for us was out of the question. I told Rich to take Mariyn, I would rest my ankle and nap with Amelia and hopefully, I'd feel better later. Mariyn was very worried about me but I told her I would be fine. Amelia and I naped and when I got up, my swelling had gone down greatly and I could use my ankle again. It wasn't 100% but hey, I could walk. We went to Tenaya Lake. I watch my girls play in the water and later played catch with Mariyn. It was so beautiful there, I really wish we had spent more time there. And, I really want to go back and practice open water swimming there. No boats are allowed on the lake, and is high in elevation so I think it would be a good training place for Tahoe. The water is cold too and fairly remote so not too many people. Good thing we have an annual pass, I already want to go back!

Saturday was our big day for exploration. My ankle was still swollen but no longer too sore. Mariyn had wanted to hike to Dog lake, it's a shorter hike 2.8 miles and rated moderately strenuous because it starts off steep. To be honest tough, it felt really easy. Amelia happily hiked the entire thing needing minimal help but that could be just the type of kid she is, VERY active. Mariyn complained a little and well, that's just the type of kid she is. LOL But we all made it and the views were beautiful. Being physically active as a family, AWESOME! God is so good! We came back to camp, made lunch. Let Amelia rest a bit, 2.8 miles is A LOT for a 3 year old! Then headed out for our next hike, Gaylor Lakes. The map said this had some of the most stunning views on Tioga Pass and of the High Sierra's and described the hike as moderately strenuous, the elevation gain and distance were similar to our earlier hike (actually less). So I figured no big deal, right? Yeah, it felt A LOT steeper. Which wasn't too hard for me or Rich but a little more challenging for Mariyn and a lot more challenging for Amelia. Good news- we all made it to the top of the summit, which had the most beautiful views. Mariyn even wanted to hike down to the lake, so I took her. Rich and Amelia stayed behind at the top to give Amelia a break. I carried Amelia about 1/2 way back down, she was getting tired and it was steep. Plus, bonus exercise for me, right? lol I tell myself, it really shouldn't be anything carrying an extra 30lbs around because I used to carry 65 but I wouldn't have been able to go hiking like this 65lbs ago and if I did, I would have been huffing and puffing until I passed out. About 5 miles of moderately strenuous hiking, not bad for a day on vacation right? I even felt a little sore the next day!

Sunday was our day to pack up and come home. I enjoyed the time with our family, with Rich. We really need to spend more time together as a couple. This trip was a little extra special for us. 10 years ago, when we were dating we took one of our first camping trip to Tuolumne Meadows. It was Richard's first time ever going to Yosemite so we tried to squeeze in so much in such little time. That trip was almost exactly 10 years ago this month. Yosemite is one of those places you could easily spend a month and not be able to see everything, or go in a different season and it will look totally different but none the less amazing it's one of God's most amazing creations. I'm so glad it's in our backyard, so is Rich. It's one of the few times I've ever heard him say how much he loves California. The natural beauty here and recreation in unsurpassed.


Pics to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment