Sunday, July 25, 2010

Davis Moo-nlight 5K

Running last night in the Davis 5K was so much fun! The atmosphere was great.

Although, Davis isn't that far I'm not sure I've ever had a reason to go there before. The race was downtown and at night. Simultaneously as the 5K was a half marathon (13 miles)there were a lot of spectators and participants. Jamba Juice was out there giving away free smoothies to EVERYONE. They were small, maybe 8-12oz but you could come back and get as many as you like. My family loves smoothies lately so the girls were in for a treat!

My friend Zumara ended up running with me. My other friend decided last minute not to go. My sister in law and her friends were running the half marathon. I really wanted to run it too because I knew I could do the 5K relatively easily. I want to try to push myself harder but I doubt I'm ready to run a half marathon either. I think I can run further than what I am but it is a little hard to believe that I might ever be able to run 13 miles, a 1/2 marathon. It was so neat to watch these true runners come in. One of them finished right around an hour. Can you believe that, running 13 miles in an hour! Crazy. The first woman came in around 1 hour and 20 minutes! My sister in law and her friends finished in about 2.5 hours but she said they took a short cut because one of her friends were hurt and probably only finished 11 or so miles. It was great running with so much family there cheering us on. Such a good fun event.

The main reason I chose to run the 5K was to be supportive of my friends. It was to be their first race and I wanted to support them and run with them. Unfortunately, one of my friends decided not to come. So Zumara and I ran together. It was fun.
My time actual finish time was 34 minutes 20 seconds! Not bad, but not fantastic. I was actually about 2 minutes slower this 5K than the last. Not my personal best but that's ok. The first mile and a half I wanted to give up, I wanted to walk. My stomach was aching and I thought I might have to stop and go to the bathroom. I thought about having Zumara go ahead with out me and I'd catch up. I didn't though, I pushed through and soon enough we were running toward the finish line as we rounded the last corner, we decided to sprint. She did great and at the end of the race both of us agreed next time, we're registering for the half marathon.

Oh and Pics - you'll will want to see pics!




and a photo finish thanks to my mom's Iphone :)


No comments:

Post a Comment