Thursday, October 7, 2010

running body pump and yoga

Tuesday, I read my bible study, James 3:1-18, on taming the tongue. Something, I and probably many other people need to work on.

Yesterday, my husband and I got into an argument. How ironic when I read the bible study the night before. I was a lot more careful about choosing my words but I have a lot of room to grow. I had a really bad headache and was probably a bit grumpier than normal. It started out as a small disagreement, I was unhappy about a few things and needed to tell him how I felt. Quickly, it escalated and turned into a BIG argument.

After the kids went to bed, I went for a run. I was planning on running anyways but now was more reason to go running. I was planning on a short run, 3 mile or so but ended up running close to 5 miles! So much healthier to handle my emotions through exercise than through eating. I was still angry when I got home and so I went to bed.

Anyone who knows me, I have a hard time letting things go once they bother me. I usually have to have the last word and or prove my point. It's probably not my best characteristic. Naturally, going to bed angry means I am going to wake up angry and not get "over it" until a solution is found and an apology is made. I got up this morning, angry made the kids breakfast (and the husband too although I didn't talk to him) and got Mariyn off to school and Amelia and I off to the gym.

I did bodypump today. Still angry I had a difficult time concentrating but an easy time lifting the weights. I ended up bumping up my squat weights by 10 lbs. Now I'm squatting with 50lbs. The most of anyone I've seen in the class, other than one amazingly strong instructor. I've been wanting to bump my squat weight up for a while so I thought this would be a good opportunity to do so. My body feels worn out, tired and sore. I didn't take my anger out on food today either.

Tonight, I went and did a yoga class. It was a much needed stress reliever and stretch. I could hear my hips and bones popping in the posses. Some of them hurt a little, others felt so good I could fall asleep. Even the ones that hurt were the feel good kind of hurt, the kind you feel when you know tension is leaving the body.

Something amazing happened in yoga. We were doing a pose in which we held our calf with both hands. For the first time, I can remember in my life my hands actually wrap around my entire calf! I was amazed I had to tell my friend. Even though you don't really socialize in yoga! Opps! ha ha

I really enjoyed yoga tonight. It was exactly what I needed. I train so much and so hard that my body can really take a beating. I know I need to incorporate more yoga/stretching in to my routine. It might not be the biggest calorie burner but flexibility and balance (key elements of yoga) are a big part of being fit and healthy.

Rich and I worked out our disagreement. All is good. We have an exciting opportunity we're investing in. I'm not allowed to speak of just yet but I think it's God's way of providing for us. It's stressful, especially because I am not good at keeping secrets and this opportunity has the potential of changing our lives. I'm excited, nervous and thankful all at the same time.

6 comments:

  1. so there is no body pump at the Y. but a friend takes it at the JCC and wants me to go with her, so next week i'm going, b/c you make it sound so awesome!

    also i've never done yoga. you think i should?? hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying everything goes well with this investment, how great for you guys!

    Awesome job turning to exercise instead of food. I'd say that takes a lot of strength!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - I hope you enjoy body pump as much as I do. I know you will. If you're interested in yoga, I'd say try it. At first, I was really intimidated because I thought only skinny ballerina type women with great flexibility do yoga but that is so far from reality. Yoga is good for everyone, increases core strength, flexibility and balance. Plus it's relaxing I think it would be great to try and see if it's something you want to add to your routine. You never know if you'll like it unless you try :)

    Jess(ica) - Thank you :) Prayers are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited for you and your upcoming chapter in life. I do like Yoga a lot also.. but never do it. ;( Can't wait for the announcement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks :) I can't wait until I can officially talk about it. Things are falling into place though, so hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I read verses like that it just reminds me how far I have to go. I love the book of James though.

    ReplyDelete