Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Cycle Shoes



Ever since I started spin, I've wanted a pair of cycle shoes. I've heard that they were better and make a huge difference in the class. It was a little hard for me to understand what a difference they make. They are just shoes, right? I'm all for having the right gear when it comes to exercising and fitness but my budget and current employment situation (lack of) have prevented me from buying all my wants and caused me to prioritize my wants and needs. Obviously losing so much weight has created a need for new clothes, including gym clothes. I needed proper athletic shoes and have actually worn out 2 pairs already. I have lots of things that I want some including a yoga mat, cycle shoes, etc.

My mom agreed to buy me a pair of shoes for spin. They are pricey. I looked the bike store in town, and in Tahoe they start at $80. Plus you have to buy the cleats/clips for the shoes and I want to be able to use them on my personal bike too so I will need to buy peddles as well.

I noticed one of my friends at the gym has a pair that I've been watching on ebay. So I decided to ask her how she likes them. She offered to let me try them for class sometime. She and I wear the same size shoe. So today, I tried them.


With my regular shoes the pedal sits in the middle of my foot, near the arch. With cycle shoes, the pedal is clipped to the ball of my foot. Which is supposed to be more effective when cycling. The shoes were a little awkward at first, figuring out how to clip myself into the bike. But once I got going, the individual strokes were easier to make. This didn't make my work out any easier though. I could push my legs faster and for the first time, I noticed specific muscle groups working harder, feel them burn during different parts of the routine. Before, with my regular shoes my entire legs felt exhausted. This time, I could feel my calves burning when we would stand and do sprints. I could feel my quads burning in different specific areas during power seated climbs. I could even feel my hip flexers burning during sprints. It was awesome! I know I get a good work out from spin, but cycle shoes just might be the tool to change the workout from good to GREAT!

I'm ordering myself some. My mom said she would contribute $50 towards them for my birthday gift. I'm excited! Did I mention, I'm pretty sure I will be sore tomorrow? ha ha I love it!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the info.. I really didn't know much about cycle shoes. My cycle buddy also has some and likes them but I always thought, "If they are so expensive, and I don't HAVE to have them, then I won't get them." I know eventually I will need them. This has given me the info I needed! =) Congrats on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about the need for cycle shoes but it seems like it would be a perfect idea. Love the colors also.

    ReplyDelete