Tuesday, October 5, 2010

1st Health-aversary

Oh how my life has changed so much in a year. It's amazing to see how much I've changed, not just physically but spiritually and emotionally. God has truly been by my side this entire journey, giving me the strength and motivation to carry on. All the glory is his.

A year ago today, I made a decision that changed my life. I decided I was tired of being fat, I was tired of just living life and not really loving life. October 5, 2009 I decided that I was going to try to lose weight. I knew it wasn't going to be easy. It was that day, I made a choice -- not to give up. It was that single choice that snowballed and changed my life. I knew I would have good days and bad. I knew that change would not be easy and I knew that there might even be days I back slidded. I decided there and then, not to give up no matter what. I believed that with healthy eating and exercise and dedication I would be healthy again. It would take time, it would be hard but it's harder being fat.

I remember being terrified to go to the gym. I was so scared the girls at the front desk could see it in my face. I told them, I hadn't attempted to work out in 7 years and I was pretty sure I was going to pass out trying. My goal, 20 minutes of cardio, in the cinema where it was dark and safe. I was determined to try. Fortunately, I made it through and built on it. I challenged myself to make it to the gym 5 days a week for 3 weeks. No matter what - and I did.

A little over a year ago, I was lost. Hopeless and felt that I was too fat to do anything about it. I was an emotional mess, always stressed out, always in a hurry, always giving as much as I could to everyone but me. Really spread thin. I was in poor health and had many symptoms of type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.

I am healthy, my blood pressure and blood sugars are normal. I handle stress so much better. I have more patience with my children and husband. I have a zest for life again and enjoy doing active things. I am more optomistic and do my best to give my worries to God. I work towards my goals feeling in control of life yet I know God is really the one in control.

In the last year, I've had many accomplishments, including:

71 lbs of weight loss. Start weight 258 lbs. Weight today 187 lbs.
Placing 1st in my age division on my first 5K
Ran a total of 4 5K races
Finished a triathlon
Ran 26.5 miles in a week
Commited to a year of lifestyle change
Completed the Gold's Gym Fitness Challenge
and Saturday I will finish my first 10K

And most importantly, I am teaching my children healthy eating habbits, exercise habbits and life style by example. I might not have met all the goals I thought I would this year, but I've made a huge dent in them. In God's timing I'm confident, I will.

Happy Health-aversary!

7 comments:

  1. Happy first health-aversary! Thank you for sharing your journey with us, I am blessed to play even a small part in it. You are truly an inspiration- not only with your weight loss, but in how you trust God to make it through in His timing. You are an amazing, beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy health-aversary!! I know the feeling.. it's a good one! Congrats and so proud of you. 71 pounds so amazing!! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you Sara! Happy health-aversary!!!

    And from your comment. We consulted a lawyer in the beginning of this mess and he said there was really nothing we could do except "xy&z" and we did those things and got the payment lower than what it was by over $300 a month. It is such a mess that we have to deal with everyday. Between that and the Army not paying Kevin's student loans that is in his CONTRACT, it has us in the hole every month. =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! It's awesome to read about how much you've accomplished in a year. I didn't realize that we both started out at about the same weight (I was 259.5). It's nice to see where I might be in a year. You should be so proud of yourself. God is so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go on one year healthy!! Here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I found you through the Hot 100 and wanted to stop by and say Hello...
    You're doing such a great job. Congratulations!
    I wish you continued success. I wil be rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess(ica) - Thank you - I really appreciate the comments and support from this blog. It's not only supportive for me, but it's fun to share what I've learned with others.

    Adrienne - Thank you. It's a great feeling of success and accomplishment. Diet's don't last a year, life style changes do :)

    Pam - Thank you. You and your family will be in my prayers. Love you!

    Kimberlynn - Yep, our starting points are very similar! With hard work and dedication, you can achieve your goals. :) It's amazing what a difference a year makes.

    Kendra - Thank you :)

    Rock Paper Tree - Thank you and Welcome :)

    ReplyDelete