Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Accepting Compliments and gaining confidence

Accepting compliments can be hard! Especially when you've lost weight and or are trying to lose. Today, I was given a compliment by an old friend, I hadn't seen this person in a long time and I actually had to show them pictures to prove that I was fat. Such an odd thing, I know. Then they proceeded to tell me I've always been beautiful. Awkward!

Every day, I pick my daughter up from school. I usually walk into the school and wait by her classroom. I mingle with the other parents. One of them commented today about how good I look and asked me what I've been doing. The other mom's replied, "she runs - A LOT." I replied diet and exercise, and blushed. I was still in my gym clothes hair pulled back in a pony tail still sweaty and greasy from my workout. One of the mom's said, "Sara that was a compliment. You have such a hard time accepting compliments, you should just say thank you. " Deep down, I know she is right.

It is so hard accepting compliments though. I always feel the need to make up excuses or reasons why they aren't valid or why I'm undeserving. I mean - of course I look better now than I did 70 lbs ago, but it's still a little embarrassing that I was THAT overweight and still have so much to lose. In some ways, I do feel pretty or attractive but in others, I still feel so undeserving. Having been overweight does something to your self confidence...

I was even invited to a Halloween party by one of the mom's. It made me feel so special because I normally feel so isolated from the other mom's in my town. I'm a good 10 years younger than most and unlike them, I didn't grow up here so I don't already know everyone. Unfortunately, it's not a day I can attend but the invite alone means I am finally starting to make friends and fit in. It feels so good to think that someone thinks I'm beautiful or worthy of compliments. My whole life, I've always felt like plain jane or the girl next door. Growing up beauty was my sister's gifts. Intelligence was mine. In my mind, they didn't mix.

3 comments:

  1. I really think intelligence is very attractive... how unattractive if someone is pretty but very dumb, but not dumb because they just "are" but dumb because they don't try. You are beautiful and don't need a lot of make up or anything to be it.. your blessed! I know it's hard to get compliments.. but enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Adrienne intelligence is attractive. The last statement was about my vision of myself growing up. Typically, when you meet someone you don't think, "Wow, she's hot, and smart though." It's not until you get to know someone better you realize their intelligence, morals, and personality. All of the things that make someone truly beautiful.

    I was always just the girl next door - a friend, or one of the guys. I think it's the role I put myself in the most.

    I can be a very confident and secure person too. I'm just more confident about my other qualities. I don't feel I'm ugly nor did I ever feel that way. Just wasn't used to someone telling me I was beautiful, or pretty or really anything but smart and athletic. So that is how, I've always defined myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, the outward is what people see first. I agree with all that! I know how you feel too. :)

    ReplyDelete