Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ready for 10K

I'm so ready for my next adventure - conquering the 10K next weekend at the Wine and Cheese festival. The event is local and very affordable. Last week, I emailed the race director to find out the exact route being used. I'm very familiar with the neighborhood, as it's where my in-laws live. It's full of rolling hills as it butts up to the river, it's similar to where I live but this portion has more rolling hills and is probably at a higher incline. Zamara and I wanted to be able to do a practice run through the course, so that we know what to expect come race day and we know how to pace ourselves.

Last night, we decided to run it. We got a late start, we drove the course first and it took us a long time. The streets were dark and it was hard to read signs. When we finally arrived back at the movie theater (the start and finish point) we were both a little intimidated it seemed so far! Even though it was late (after 10:30 pm) I knew the neighborhood well enough to feel safe. We ended up running the course as well as the distance of the parking lot at the theater because I didn't know where the start and finish lines would be exactly. We did a short cool down walk, stretched and got water. Oh was I thirsty. It was after midnight by the time we got in the car and came home. What kind of crazy people run this late at night, you might ask? lol

I guess we're just driven and motivated to run. Zumara and I fit it into our schedule no matter what it takes. For me, that means running after I put the kids to bed. It really is the only time I have to run. It works well for the both of us. Yeah, I seen several people staring at us like we were on something to be out running that late. It's much healthier to be out running until midnight than drinking and partying like most of the people we ran past last night. So I don't feel to bad. Once I came home, I drank another glass of water and got in bed.

This morning, I decided to use mapmyrun.com just to make sure we covered the course correctly. We did plus some! Due to the run in the parking lot, we ended up running 6.5 miles!
Taking my total running mileage this week to 22 miles! Which, makes me want to go run 4.2 miles today, so I can say I ran 26.2 miles this week, the same distance as a marathon. For that reason, I just might :x

3 comments:

  1. WTG on getting out there and doing a practice run, no matter what time it is! Praying that everything goes well this coming week and you kick butt at the half-marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I am such a chicken.. if I had a friend to run with I would run at night. You should get the 26.2! Whoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :D Yeah - I had to get that extra mileage in... just makes me feel so much more successful. xoxo

    ReplyDelete