Saturday, October 9, 2010

10K: Mission Accomplished!

6 am came really quick this morning. I was tired, I hit snooze and rolled over. Then realized that if I didn't get up my morning would probably be rushed. I made the fam bam breakfast, blueberry pancakes and eggs. I ate one pancake then got myself and the girls ready. We were out of the house by 7:15am and arrived at the race venue around 7:30. This morning, Rich asked me how long I thought the run should take me. Best case scenario, I told him 1 hour; worse case scenario 1 hour and 30 minutes. I checked in, got my packet and bib number and waiting anxiously to start the race. Rich and the girls waited by the sidelines to cheer me on.
Zumara and I just before the race began. =) Ready to run

The race started off great, without a hitch. There were so many runners but I felt prepared. Let's face it, I know I'm not the speediest but I know I can hang endurance wise. Running the course last week really boosted my confidence, I'm sure it helped Zumara too. We knew exactly how to pace ourselves for the course and what to expect. I was so excited to run this morning.


This race wasn't electronic timing so we got towards the front of the pack on the starting line. We took off as soon as the horn went off. The couple miles or so was thick with runner. Adrenaline kicking in, I could feel we were running faster than normal. There wasn't any conversation between Zumara and I. We normally chat the entire run and runners say you should be able to keep a pace where you can talk the entire time. Otherwise, you will probably face burn out. As the pack of runners started to dwindle, I started conversation.

Around mile 3, I could really feel how fast we had paced ourselves the run was getting difficult. I noticed there were too many runners in Zumara's age and I didn't see very many of them in front of us. She paces herself with me, but really I think she might be faster than me and she is about 12 years older. There was several water stops along the way. I grabbed water and kept going at each one. At about mile 4, I wanted to walk but I just kept pacing myself with Zumara and kept going. Somewhere between mile 4 and 5 I got water and drank it a little fast. After taking off, I nearly hurled. Vomit cam up, but it didn't come out. GROSS! There wasn't another water stop for a mile or so. I pushed through.

Mile 5 started out with a steep hill, the last big challenge of the run. Utop of the hill, I knew the rest of the race was easy. I got water at the next stop but instead of drinking it,I just rinsed my mouth. As we hit the 6 mile mark, we picked up the pace. I belched and again almost hurled. I knew we were almost to the finish line. Zumara was doing so good, she made this 6.2 miles look easy and I really thought she had a chance of placing in her age division. I told her not to worry about me, to finish as strong as possible, even if that meant leaving me behind. We both crossed the finish line together, although she is missing from the picture.

Crossing the finish line: Official time: 1 hour 5 minutes and 53 seconds. I ranked 14th in my age division of 20 runners, 112 of 147 runners over all.

I'm really proud of my time. Yeah it's not the best in the world of fast runners but it is a great time. Considering, I'm 5'4" tall, weigh 187 (ish) lbs and couldn't run 30 seconds in January, I think I'm starting to get speedy. Plus, it was my first 10K and being that there were two simultaneous events, I'm sure I was competing with more advanced runners. I probably would have placed higher had I done the 5K. I'm glad I chose to do the 10K and really push myself. I feel so accomplished and grateful. I feel like a runner. =)

Feeling so accomplished! Zumara and I after. Notice the red checks ... lovely, I know.

After the run there was a free kids run. Mariyn ran. She was reluctant to run, but I bribed her with a $1. She did great and everyone got a medal. It was fun for them too and I just love that she is learning a healthy lifestyle now.



My biggest fans. Mariyn & Amelia =)


5 comments:

  1. Well done on completing the 10k without any walking - impressive...i have only recently started Couch-to-5k training and my goal is to run 10k regularly (eventually), so it's nice to hear about someone who has reached that stage and is now looking to get faster.

    Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you! Wat to go on that. I can't wait for the day where I can say I ran a whole 5k or 10k! I missed running all last week due to busy schedule =( oh well I am going to go on with week 3 training.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a great 10k! I'm doing my first 10km race in a few weeks, and I hope I can do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your awesome 10K!!! I am so proud and still very inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you - all :) I'm looking forward to my next 10K =)

    ReplyDelete