Monday, October 18, 2010

Being Supportive

I've come so far in my own fitness journey that people everywhere are noticing. Not only are they noticing they are asking the famous question, "How did you do it?" or as you can imagine the many versions of it.

I have no big secrets only common sense: eat less, move more and stay committed. Whenever most people hear my response and find out it wasn't some fancy miracle quick solution, they are no longer interested in trying it for themselves. The excuses start, I don't have time to exercise. I don't like to eat that. I can't run. I've even heard, I don't mind exercising but I don't want to get all sweaty.

One of the biggest negative nelly's in my journey has been my sister. I love her dearly, but she is overweight. She's has struggled with her weight her entire life. Last year when I started exercising I'd invite her along but she would never come. Rarely, if ever has she acknowledged my weight loss. I would be dishonest if I said it didn't hurt my feelings. My sister is one of the most kind hearted people I know. She has two beautiful children whom I love dearly and I know she wants a better life for them, a healthier more active life. She came and watched my triathlon last month. I think it was that weekend, that she realized I had really changed my life.

The last couple of weeks, she has been asking me more and more questions about how I got started. What did I do, what was it like and genuinely interested in hearing the responses. Her work is promoting exercise and have several gyms offering promotions to them. Last week, she decided to join my gym. She sounded excited. One night she came over and I went through my closet and gave her some of my old clothes that no longer fit, including warm up outfits and workout clothes.

Tonight, we went to the gym together, for her first time. She called me so I could meet her there. I put my kids in the childcare and called her to find out where she was because I hadn't seen her yet. I was shocked, when I heard her reply on the elliptical. I was shocked that she was driven enough to start without me. The gym can be very intimidating, the atmosphere, the impressively fit members, the whole process. We did 20 minutes together on the elliptical. I could tell it was a struggle for her but she made it through. Then I gave her a tour of the gym and we worked out for about another 20 minutes in the women's only section. My focus was making sure my sister got a good workout and felt comfortable. I introduced her to as many people as I could, so she would feel welcomed and supported. I'm very proud of her, and even though her workout might not have been as strenuous as mine normally are, hers was just as intense for her. And honestly, I have to say that it feels so good to be a positive influence to her.

After the gym, I made dinner for my family: baked chicken, asparagus and brown rice. Yum.

Then, Mariyn and I went for a run. Since completing 20 laps at the jog a thon, she and I had talked about her running more with me at home. She hasn't really gone running with me since she finished her run this Spring. Since she ran/walked for 30 minutes at the jog-a-thon I knew she could at least do a lap here with me and we could build on it. She wants to do a race with mommy but I want her to be able to complete the whole 5K. I don't mind not getting a PR if I'm running with my kid. Teaching her to enjoy activity is worth way more than a PR. So tonight, we ran/walked 2 miles together. She probably ran half. She complained a lot but felt so good when she finished. I'm so proud of my girl!

2 comments:

  1. That's so great about Kelly! I know exactly how you feel about your sister or other family "not noticing" your weight loss. I too have gotten that. I am excited for her. I am hoping my sister will start soon too. Cute about Mariyn. We let Shane run part of the way too and he loves it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And I hope Brittney will start too. It weighed heavy on my heart for a long time about Kelly and as much as I encouraged her to go, with me, I can see this really is in her own time. I just hope she stays committed and keeps moving forward.


    Shane - so cute! Amelia loves to run too ;-)

    ReplyDelete