Monday, September 20, 2010

Amazing

Leaving the triathlon, we stopped at Jamba Juice to use the restroom and I got my girls' smoothies. A customer in line noticed the medal and asked me what I did to earn it. Proudly, I told her I just finished a triathlon. She seemed amazed. With training, anyone could do a triathlon. if they desired. I began to tell her my story. She was a heavy woman, 238 lbs she said and in her 40's.

I talked to her for a long time I told her how 11 months ago, I was overweight weighing in at 258lbs. I gained the weight going through college and graduate school with 2 kids and working full time. As mom, I put myself last. I forgot I had interests and hobbies I was so busy I didn't make time to be active. I knew I gained weight but didn't have any idea of how much until I couldn't play catch with my kids and do normal activities without breathing heavy. What changed she asked, simply I said I was tired of being fat. I was tired of not being able to enjoy life and I didn't want to live that way anymore. I told her how I started small, pushing myself on October 5th to go to the gym and how hard it was to do the elliptical for 20 minutes. I told her of my adventures with Zumba and how much I enjoyed dancing. I told her that in January I couldn't run 30 seconds and now I can run 6-8 miles. I told her how my family is living a healthier life. How I'm happier and can handle stress better. I told her of the beautiful rainbow I had seen over the lake that morning just as I wanted to give up. Really though, I told her it wasn't just me that changed --God changed me. He has been a part of my journey since day one even at times when I didn't know he was there. She was amazed with my story and even said she could tell I was an athlete because I looked like one. I think that was one of the best compliments I could receive. She said she was inspired to start working out. I really felt God talking through me when I talked to her today. Most of the time, when I tell people my story, I feel it's focused too much on me and not enough about him. This time, God talked through me, I could feel it. Amazing!

At the triathlon so may women had inspirational stories. I'm sure each and every athlete there had a story. The youngest triathlete was 11 years old and came in 19th place overall. Amazing young lady. She's a tri-kids ambassador and has not only formed her own tri-training team but raised over 250,000 for cancer research. At age 8, she participated in her first triathlon; about a year later she lost her father to cancer. Did I mention she was only 8 years old? Amazing!

The oldest athlete was 68 years old! I don't know her story but I tell you, I really hope that at 68 I am fit enough to participate and complete a triathlon. Did I mention she finished before me? Yeah her official time, 2 hours 9 minutes 45 seconds. Amazing!

When I think of a triathlete, I always thought of someone in top shape physically. Someone young, thin, strong and athletic. At the triathlon there were truly women of all ages, shapes and sizes. They announced some of the athletes accomplishments. One woman, lost 130 lbs, over 4 years. Another lost 50. The thing, I that stood out was the number of older athletes. Only 71 of the athletes were in their 20's which was the age bracket most competitors would be. The age bracket with the largest number of athletes was the 40-44 year old division with 72 athletes! In fact there were 176 athletes over the age of 40. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment