Sunday, September 12, 2010

7 days til Tri - My TRI

A few days ago I created the "countdown to triathlon" workout schedule. With only a few days left, I need to make sure I'm ready but not over training. On today's agenda: swim, bike, run. No problem right? While I got up early enough to do my swim, I didn't get up early enough to do the swim, get the kids and I ready AND make it to the gym for cycle by 9 am. So what did I do? Improvise people!

I decided to try out "my" tri-suit -- AKA training clothes I bought last night in the pool. It's tight, skin tight but comfortable. When I put it on, I asked Rich if I looked too big to be wearing something like this in public. He said, "Not at all, a year ago yes but not today. You look great!" He makes me feel so good, and I hope he was being honest, I think he was. I decided to do my own version of swim, bike, run, practicing the transitions is really going to be important as well as adjusting to the different types of movements consecutively.

I got ready for my swim, set my transition stuff on the front porch and opened the garage so I could easily access my bike and transition. I swam 50 laps in my pool, grabbed a towel then transitioned to my bike, letting hubby know I was taking off of course. I rode 3 laps around our normal running course, hitting the hills up and down for a total of 7 miles. After the third lap, I put my bike away (transitioned) and took of on my run and ran about 2.2 miles. This is where "my tri-suit" was really put to the test. I was perfectly comfortable during the ride, my shorts dried completely. My shirt was still short of damp, mostly in the bust area due to the layers of support, I'm sure. To keep myself motivated, I kept thinking of how good it's going to feel to finish, and making up headlines in my head as if MY finishing a triathlon was a historic event. Small town women, losses 66 lbs and finishes triathlon! LOL - yeah I'm corny at times, I know. But I'm used to talking to someone during my run and I've already been around this loop 3 other times today!

My outfit held up great, no chaffing and much more supportive than a swimsuit. However, I think I'm going to do some tweaking. The shirt is much more supportive when dry then wet. Probably because it losses a bit of shape when wet. So, weds when I do my last swim, bike, run, I'm going to swim in a sports bra with the shorts, instead of the tank under the wet suit. Then transition to the tank after the swim. Hopefully that works better. If not, I am confident I can get through the real triathlon in this outfit.

Todays mission complete:


Swim (50 laps x 40 feet) = 2000 feet = 610 meters

Bike 7 Miles = 11.2 K

Run 2.2 Miles
= 3.5 K



Triathlon requirements:

400 Meter Swim - 24K Bike - 5K Run


I'm SOOO ready for this!!!

3 comments:

  1. That is so great!! Keep up all the hard work. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Wish I had my own pool so I can make my own tri at home like that with transitions. But I do it in the gym... just not the same. Where did you get the tri suit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My "tri-suit" isn't really a tri suit, just very form fitting training clothes I decided to buy instead of a swimsuit :) I tried it and it worked great. I'm going to tweek it a bit more tomorrow, in hopes of perfection. ;-)

    ReplyDelete