Thursday, March 11, 2010

What a difference...

Mariyn started softball practice yesterday (I am coaching). It was a great feeling to her enjoy the sport I love. I coached her T-ball team last year. It was then, I really noticed how out of shape I was. Little things, like running the bases seemed so challenging to me. Stretching and warming up got me winded. This year, 45lbs lighter and in a lot better physical condition is going to be different. I ran with the kids yesterday and didn't feel the least bit tired from running, stretching or warming up with the girls. It just felt right. Of course, I felt good knowing the changes I've made and what a difference exercise has made.

I got to the gym early this morning, I wanted to make sure I got the back to back body pump and cycle classes since I missed them on Tuesday. If you recall though, this is the same instructor I had last week, the drill Sargent personality. I decided that I'm not going to let her get in my head and I'm not going to allow myself to feel inadequate. I know how much I've changed; I know what I am capable of and I know I am going to be healthy again. In college I had many professors I didn't like but still gained knowledge from and tolerated in order to meet my goals. I figured I would go into this class with the same attitude. I know she is challenging and despite her criticism I am going to get a good workout and meet my goals. Today, I did just that. I noticed she seemed to correct all the new comers - in the same manner as she did me last week. This week, she didn't correct me as much - twice both were minor. I was more cautious about my form though, which could be a good thing I guess. After the gym, I came home made Amelia lunch, grabbed a handful of almonds for myself. Then we took a much needed nap.

When I picked Mariyn up from school, one of my friends little girl, Emma asked why I always wore the same thing. In a cute way. I do always wear my gym clothes around town. Her mom explained, "because she always goes to the gym, she is in better shape than mommy." This sort of shocked me because this mom is a runner. She may not go to the gym but I know she runs for recreation and she is already thin. I doubt I am really in better shape than she is but I do frequent the gym more often. She does P90X and runs when she can. It still felt like she was complimenting me though.

This afternoon, Mariyn practiced batting. She is going to be my little slugger. She needs a bit more practice though but we enjoyed spending the time together. Rich and I went to the gym again this evening. I rode the bike, slowly like you would for recreation, the worked on my abs and hips. Trying to be supportive and go to the gym with the hubby but not wanting to change my routine can be a little extreme but I'm trying.

3 comments:

  1. Im the same way, to the point it confuses people when I show up to the school in normal clothes. Olivia is always, why are you dressed, are we going somewhere???????????? lol
    Usually me being dressed means I had too many errands to make it to the gym or Im going somewhere after I pick Olivia up.
    I am *always* in gym clothes, Its normal day to day clothes that are odd to see me in. ( That and my hair down)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and being thin doesn't mean in better health. When I was JUST running and only running, for recration, I wasn't nearly as fit and in good health as I am now.
    Suprisingly there IS a difference. I am much more fit that I am doing more then just running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like we are two of a kind in the fashion department! And I know skinny doesn't always mean healthy. I've been skinnier before in my adult life but I've never been this physically fit :) The good news is I'm getting healthier every day!

    ReplyDelete