Monday, March 1, 2010

Trying something new...

I've had a major sweet tooth. I rarely cheat on my diet - I'm consistent every day. Once in a while, I will reward myself with a skinny cow ice cream but that is a true treat. I've been getting headaches lately and feeling sluggish, which is one reason why I think I might not be consuming enough calories. So, yesterday I decided to have a sweet snack. I ended up having 2 skinny cow ice creams, swiss chocolate cake rolls (3). Today I had a nutter butter bar and a nutrilite energy bar. I'm sure I still did well with my calories but I do feel a little guilty. I shouldn't but I do. For some reason, my hamstrings are super sore today. Not really sure what I did to get them sore - but man I did not feel like working out tonight and really had to force myself to go. Funny thing is I lift heavy weights all week and rarely get sore... weekends I relax. Yesterday I pulled weeds for about an hour (it's the only semi-strenuous thing I can recall doing) and my hamstrings hurt like no one's business!


I had a good workout, cardio kickboxing tonight plus weights with Rich. Chaz one of the trainers taught me a new exercise (new to me anyway). I was waiting on a machine and 3 or so guys were hoarding it. Chaz was walking around bored and we got to talking. He showed me something I could do instead. I laid my shoulders on to a exercise ball with my knees bent out and feet at a 90 degree angle - keeping my core tight and flat as possible. While holding dumbells (20lbs each arm) I moved my arms in and out (like a butterfly) with my elbows bent at a 90 degree angle. It was a challenge! I did 3 sets, I not only worked my chest/pecs but my core and increased my balance! It's nice to get tips every once in a while. Here is something I found online to help out with a visual.

Normally, I shy away from the dumbell exercises but I'm getting more comfortable with my body, with the gym and it's not so bad to try something new. Chaz was even surprised by how strong I am and complimented me. Progress comes in so many forms! Felt good :)

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny about the weed pulling and your legs being so sore! Maybe you were bending in a way that was really using those muscles! Good job and it's ok to have a treat every now and then. That is why I have weigh in day as high calorie day.. keeps me focused during the week (most of the time.. you know me! lol) so I can have my treat then.

    ReplyDelete