Friday, March 12, 2010

Caught a bug...

Monday - Weights + Cardio Kick boxing
Tuesday - Zumba
Wednesday - Body Pump + 30 mins of running + light workout w/ Rich
Thursday - Body Pump + Spin + light workout w/ Rich
Friday - 30 mins of cardio

I got to the gym today, looking forward to a fun class of Zumba. Turns out zumba was cancelled today. I have to admit I was a little disappointed so I figured I would try the cycling class. Unfortunately, the lady in front of me got the last ticket. Determined to workout I decided to hit the treadmill, I figured it would be nice to get in a bit of training time in today. I seen one of my Zumba buddies and started talking away. Finally I went in and took care of business and started in on my cardio cinema. As soon as I started running, I had to go to the bathroom. Normally, I go as soon as I get to the gym just so I'm not interrupted. With all my chatting I got a little distracted. I decided I would at least make it to 10 minutes before I stopped to go. I know that every time I stop running, it's harder for me to start again - it's like losing momentum. At the 10 minute mark, I decided I would complete a mile and then go. It didn't seem like it would be too much harder. I wanted to see what my mile time was. I hadn't payed too much attention to it before but I know I want to improve upon my running time. 11 minutes 28 seconds into my run, I hit the mile mark. I stopped, went to the bathroom and came back. Once I started running again. I've been running at a speed of 4.8 - I wondered what speed would I have to have the machine set to in order to make a 10 minute mile? After messing with the controls, (and an obvious, DUH) it's 6.0. So I decided that I will gradually increase my speed until I can run at 6.0 long enough to make a 10 minute mile - obviously not going to happen today but I know I'm showing signs of improvement. Right before the 15 minute mark my knee started to really hurt. So, I decided I should probably switch machines and give it a rest. I finished up the rest of my cardio time on the elliptical. I've always had bad knees, previous injuries and such. Plus, I know that I worked out hard this week and I've demanded a lot from my body. Fridays are normally my easy days and I'd rather take time off than be hurt. Especially because I am determined now more than ever to complete my first 5K next weekend.

I think the I've caught a bit of a competition bug. I'm looking forward to my 5K and wondering what I can plan next. If I complete this, like I am determined to, what should be my next goal? Should I run another 5K? I know 3 miles really isn't a lot for a runner but it's will be a huge accomplishment for me! Should I start training for something more? What type of training would it take to do something bigger like a 10k, 1/2 marathon, or something more? Yesterday, I was out running errands and Mariyn asked for a snack. It was warm out but her throat has been scratchy so I stopped and got the girls a Jamba Juice. I picked up the competitor magazine and started flipping through it. It's so neat to see all the endurance competition. In September there is a marathon in Kaua'i. How amazing that must be! I'd love to be able to run a marathon, at least once in my life time. I know it is intense training and I am no where near ready for that... but I can dream can't I? I've decided that once I complete my 5K, I will work pick another competition to work towards. I'm hoping it will help keep me focused and driven. Who knows maybe in a few years, running a marathon in Kaua'i won't seem too out of reach.

3 comments:

  1. LOL, as I was reading and you asked about the 10 minute mile setting, I said to myself 6.0.
    I kept reading and you said it.
    It KILLS me that you have to run 6.0 to get a 10 minute mile, when I dont run NEARLY that fast in real life and run a mile faster then 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow good time! you should train for something! A marathon would be awesome. Not many people.. scratch that.. hardly anyone every can say they have done a marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherri - LOL It just seems so fast on the treadmill. Probably has something to do with the ground moving beneath you instead of you adjusting your stride/pace.

    Adrienne - Thanks. I'm really looking forward to my 5K after that I will decide what my next fitness goal/competition will be. A marathon would be cool but I know it's intense training and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that kind of commitment yet. Someday would be cool though...

    ReplyDelete