Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My plan... no God's Plan

After my classes at the gym yesterday, my mom and I met up and went to Big 5 Sporting Goods. She wanted to get a pair of weight lifting gloves. To my surprise my mom also bought me a pair! I have needed some so badly, my hands hurt. But right now, I need so many things. I have to prioritize and budget accordingly. The gloves are such a blessing!

I've been thinking of my lack of weight loss the last couple weeks. Perhaps I hit a plateau, perhaps I over trained. I was talking to two of my dearest friends, you know the ones you call when you just need someone to talk to. Lucia always gives me great advice. She is a great listener and truly has a different but logical take on various situations I've gotten myself into. I was complaining to Lucia about my lack of weight loss saying "I feel like I wasted that whole 2 weeks because I didn't get any results. You know, when you're working towards a goal - I want to be going that way losing weight. Otherwise, it just doesn't feel worth it." Lucia reminded me that although I didn't lose weight, I did maintain and that is important too. Later on I talked to one of my besties, Alana. Alana is also a heavy girl, she recently auditioned for biggest loser and truly knows me intimately. She knows the ups and downs that come along with being over weight. I complained to her, something similar to what I said to Lucia and Alana said, "You know Sara, if you're sticking to your routine, following your diet the weight is going to come off. Don't worry about it, just keep on doing what your doing. If your not sticking to your routine or your diet then you need to jump back on the wagon. But since you know you're not doing anything wrong, just wait. Sometimes, that happens in our weight loss journeys." It was such a good thing for me to hear. I know I'm progressing, I feel stronger every day. I feel more energetic and while, the weight is important to me, it's not the most important factor in my journey.

With that said, I decided to change my routine up at the gym, I pushed for 4 sets of 20 on each of the machines I did today. During weight time, I focused soley on my core and hips. I ran for 30 minutes on the treadmill. I tried to up my pace, so I can get a faster mile. It was hard. I didn't have grand results, I had to push pause a few times and take a breather. But I know the only way I am going to progress and get faster is if I continue to push myself. I did run the entire time, no walking. I just had to pause and catch my breath. I hope to find that perfect breathing pace and adjust soon. Plus, I didn't want to push myself too hard, only a few days before my 5K but I wanted to push myself enough to benefit. I went to the gym twice today, weights and running with Clare around noon. Then weights after Softball practice with Rich.

I love Spring. It was a great day and I love the progress that I have made physically. My journey isn't really MY journey. It's God's will and I have to let him have more glory and control for my success. God is awesome and he truly strengthens me.

3 comments:

  1. Sara, This is sort of where I have been for a long time, but for a different reason. Not a plateau. I have been a member of the Y going on almost a year now. I have lost no weight. zero. In fact. I've gained. Not because I've slipped on my caloric intake or not exercising, I deduct it is muscle mass. I've lost inches, I've gained muscle, but lost no weight. Some days, I just really really berate myself on why I continue when there are no results to look for anymore.

    I know in my heart I'm not looking to be "Skinny" I'm in this to be fit. So the logical side of my head finally kicks in and I get the inner dialogue going with myself that makes more sense.

    I don't want to be thin. I don't want to look like a model. Frankly, I look at thin girls that aren't fit and I am just, well, unimpressed. Sure, sweetie, you are rail thin, but you have no muscle tone.

    I KNOW I'm striving for muscle tone and being fit. And, well, I HAVE that. I just hate those days that seem to be striving for more perfection then I should be asking of myself.

    Like, why the cellulite on my butt never went away even though I'm down to a size 5. My LOGICAL brain is saying, You should feel blessed you have a tiny, perky butt. The illogical side chastizes myself for all the dimples and dents that perky tiny butt has.

    Same with my legs. Some days I pat myself on the back for the fact I have toned my legs so well, other days I berate myself that the back of my legs still have tell tale signs of cellulite that will never go away.

    Overall, I know people look at me and don't see what I see. I AM progressing and each day I exercise IS important, regardless that I may not see the outward signs of it anymore.

    Each day I continue to live healthy is the goal. That's should be what matters. What follows is just the perks, the benefits. If I get washboard abs, that's just an added bonus. But, If I DONT get washboard abs,lol, Im still healthy and fit.

    I tell my husband, I think I have lazy muscles lol. No matter HOW many crunches I do, or how many stair steps I do, my abs and butt muscles do NOT respond lol. My butt just will not get as taut as I want it to be. He says, Well, *I* can tell a difference.

    Those are the things I need to hear. Because when I dont see the results. Its nice to hear someone else say, well, I do.

    And Sara, I see your results and hard work :D On the days you don't see it or feel it, It's there :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! and I think switching up is good. I'm in the process of upping my weight limits and trying different machines. It has created a difference in my legs that I just wasn't seeming to get before. No matter what I seemed to do, my upper legs just didn't seem to lose inches, I was storing a lot of fat there. After I dumped my cardio classes and focused on Target exercise machines, my legs have finally thinned up more. i'm thinking of conquering my fear and signing up for a Spin class. My Y's spin room is SOOO tiny and so many people rush to sign up, it intimidates me.

    I hope you see the results you are looking for with the switching up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sherri. I guess in a lot of ways, I know I am still progressing but it's convincing my emotional side that. I really think once I get out of the 200's I will be doing a lot better mentally. I think the scale has me at a mental hurdle more than anything. It's funny you say that about Mel because Rich does the same thing. My critical self says it's because he is my husband and has to encourage me not because there is actual change happening. Either way, it's a sweet gesture.

    Spin was intimidating to me too at first. Partially for the same reasons, but at lot of others as well. It's really one of my favs that I can see is transforming my legs. Wanna know the reason I broke down and tried it? One of the ladies I do Zumba with has AMAZING legs and she is probably at least 50's, possibly older. But she stays active doing cycling and spin. So I thought if I can get my legs to look like that - I'm willing to try the intimidating class, where I swear the bike seat is a form of torture! Oh after I signed up for my first time, everyone was really helpful - adjusting my bike and stuff - and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete