Monday, May 24, 2010

Riding Riding Riding

Mariyn really wanted to ride her bike to school today, so I got up a little bit earlier than normal. We rode our bikes together to school for the first time and when we got there Mariyn's face was full of joy. You could really tell she was proud as a peacock and all her friends noticed she rode her bike. Mariyn showed me where the bike rack was and I helped lock her bike up.

I noticed that the bike rack was small and virtually empty. Her school probably has 600 kids and maybe 10 rode their bike today. I recall the bike rack in elementary school ALWAYS being full. Mariyn was probably the youngest kid to have ridden their bike today. Most of the bikes were boy bikes and two other girls road today. To be honest, it is probably just as fast for us to ride to school as it is to drive and fight the traffic that backs up in front of the school.

This afternoon, Amelia rode her trike to pick up Mariyn. She did so good. We live close to the school but not THAT close. It's about a half mile each way. Amelia made it to the school without any major problems. She got a little tired just before we got there but was easily motivated again at the sight of the school. She and I parked our bikes in the front then walked to the bike rack. I know Mariyn doesn't know how to unlock her bike. She still needs practice. So we got her bike and met her in front of her classroom. You could see how happy she was to ride her bike home. On the other hand, Amelia was worn out and easily distracted. Getting her to ride her trike home was a challenge! I think I walked my bike more than I rode it on the way back but Amelia's learning. She is determined she isn't going to be left behind! I'm sure she will be able to keep up in no time. We still have the bike Mariyn learned on. Rich needs to put the training wheels back on it but I'm sure Amelia is going to love it and will be riding around in no time.

After we got Amelia home, Mariyn and I rode to Subway. Rich is home sick today, stomach virus kept him up all night last night and he really wanted Subway today. It's not exactly what I would have thought of for lunch but he's spoiled and can NEVER find anything at home to eat. Whatever - he's lucky he's sick. Mariyn enjoyed the extra bike time and I think she is learning her way around a bit more. She didn't fall down at all today.

Since Rich was home tonight, I decided to leave the kids with him and ride my bike to the gym for Cardio Kickboxing. It's all the way across town, but our town is small and I rarely get the opportunity to go to the gym alone, why not take advantage of it and ride my bike. The ride to the gym wasn't bad but the ride home was killer. I got a great workout, both at the gym and on my bike and my legs are extremely tired but in a good way.

Don't worry, I'm sure the new-ness of bike riding will eventually wear off and not be so blog worthy. But man, I'm really glad I got a bike. Riding has been so much fun, I wish I would have tried this long ago!

Morning trip to the school and back = 1 mile
Afternoon trip to the school and back = 1 mile
Trip to Subway and back = 1 mile
Gym and back =3.5 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment