Sunday, May 23, 2010

My heart is so FULL. . . .

As soon as we were up and out of bed, Mariyn asked me to take her on a bike ride. Let me remind you, she fell yesterday at least 4 -5 times skinned her knee but got back up. She is so excited about being able to ride around the neighborhood on her bike. She said she felt like a scientist observing and exploring everything around us as she rides. Soon after breakfast, I got both girls dressed.

Amelia was bound and determined she wasn't going to be left behind and wanted to go on a bike ride too. Not to leave Amelia out, we took a quick trip around the block. It was the longest trip I thought Amelia could make and I knew if she couldn't it would be the shortest walk back. All I was worried about was her giving up, and me walking my bike, Amelia and her trike back to the house. You know what though, she made it all around the block. I didn't realize the street behind us didn't have a side walk, so she ended up riding her trike in the street a lot and the street was full of pot holes! It was no easy task. I pretty much had to walk my bike and push her out of a pot hole every few feet. Next time, we will pick a different route. But she made it and has greatly improved on her riding abilities. She has had her trike for about a year but just recently started to actually RIDE it. Before, she would just push with her feet. Since she can actually petal now, I've asked Rich to find Mariyn's old training wheels so we can put that bike back together for Amelia.

On our way back around our block, I noticed a yard sale sign. I'm still on hunt for a trailer to pull Amelia so I decided to go. Mariyn and I rode down there to check it out. We ended up spending $11. I bought my sister a few things for her baby boy due in July. She got a bouncer that matches the theme she was using, used but in REALLY good shape, a brand new fitted sheet same theme (can you ever have too many sheets? No, I didn't think so), and 2 brand new baby boy outfits. I was so excited to give them to her and I know she was appreciative. I probably looked pretty funny riding my bike carrying a baby bouncer. HaHa Oh well ;-)

Mariyn earned a free ticket to the Modesto Nuts Baseball game today as a reading reward from school. I've been wanting to take her to a real game for some time. The girls and I had a blast. Rich is on call this weekend, so he couldn't come along. He really missed out!

Of course, as soon as we got home Mariyn was asking to go on a bike ride again. She is so proud that she can ride. It's cute; plus I know she is holding me accountable to get use out of my bike. We rode a similar path to yesterday but I changed it up a bit so we won't get too bored. Today she only fell once. We were coming down the hill she fell twice yesterday. She made it all the way to the bottom made the turn AND turned to me and said mom I did it! Looking behind her, she turned her handle bars and ran RIGHT into a curb and fell. :-/ She skinned her knee up good. Crying she couldn't go on anymore, I helped her up and reminded her at this point she has only 2 options: get up and ride home or walk because there isn't much I can do about a fall. She wiped away the tears and got back on her bike. We made it the rest of the way home without incident AND she's asked to ride her bike to school. She is so proud of her new skill and I am so proud of her! I'm so glad I got this bike and can take her ridding now. I actually feel bad that I didn't do this sooner. :-/

Rich has an old cruiser style bike at his shop. We're going to get it down see what it needs and hopefully get it on the road so he can ride along too. I really love that my family is able to be active and healthy. I love that my children are going to grow up loving exercise and just being fit. Simple things, like ridding a bike, running and playing sports. are a normal part of their lives that they enjoy! My heart is really so full... We are so blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment