Monday, May 10, 2010

A new kind of compliment

My cabinets are were nearly empty. Nothing left in my fridge except leftovers that were probably growing stuff. I needed to go grocery shopping, in a bad way. I've been procrastinating it and we've been eating out more and more. Not a good habit if you're trying to lose weight or save money. Finally, I broke down and went to Costco. I stocked up on all my favorites: raspberry, blackberry, watermelon, pineapple, spinach, pistachios, almonds etc. The girls and I sampled and looked around. Carefully, I tried to remember all the things we needed while trying to still make it out of the store without breaking the bank. Finally, I get to the checkout and as I'm unloading my cart I feel like I am being watched. I noticed an elderly lady was staring at me a long stare too. She was watching me unload and staring at my food. Finally, when I'm all done unloading my cart, she says, "You really feed your family well!"

Wow! What a compliment, I replied "Thank you and said I've been dieting and trying to teach my family healthy eating habits. " I know it's really important to model good eating and a healthy lifestyle. Her comment really made my day. There are so many families, young families especially, whose diet is made up of junk foods, boxed foods or fast foods because it's often easier, cheaper or faster than making a nutritious meal. I know, I was one of those families. I've started to pay attention at the grocery store and what the person in front of me buys. You can really tell a lot about their eating habits by what is in their shopping cart. Not to say I don't have a treat every now and then heck, I even bought skinny cow ice cream while I was at Costco. But the bulk of my food was fresh and healthy. And well that just made me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment