Saturday, May 15, 2010

Chocolate Festival 5K

Complete Success!

My niece and nephew spent the night last night, their mom had to work today and needed a sitter. We already had a busy day planned but I figured they could tag along. Mariyn enjoyed having them here, but boy was that a lot of work for me. I got up early, cooked breakfast and got 4 kids and myself out of the house before 7:30 am. Hey, I did all that and ran Three miles by 9 AM! Impressive I tell you, God was on my side today!


Before our runs!

It's funny all the anxiety I felt about my first 5K was non-existent today! I knew I was capable of completeing the whole 3.1 miles. My heart was full because Mariyn wanted to run and I knew she could do it. She was so excited too! She found a friend along the way and ran/walked with her. I love that my seven year old daughter WANTS to be active. Such a blessing. To be honest though, I was more worried for her than for me. She did great though and of course, I'm a proud momma.

Mariyn running the final stretch to the finish line!

Just crossed the finish line - look past the guy in the blue jacket...

Nicole, one of my sister's friends wanted to run it too. It was her first 5K and as she crossed the finish line she swore it will be her last. I'm willing to bet she does it again. ;-) I'm trying to get her to join me in Sacramento for the Nike Women's festival. I ran into friends of mine too, Jill and Bryan. Bryan did great, probably one of the first 15 runners. It was Jill's first 5K and her goal was to finish - she did! So proud of her and Nicole.


My goal, well, my goal was to finish running. Yeah RUN the entire 3.1 miles. I want progress, ya know. I knew I could complete it, but I wanted to complete it running. I'm in better shape than I was a month and a half ago. I've been running more and more. Today, I'm happy to report, I completed the 5K running! It was rough, I wanted to make sure I paced myself. This course was a fast out and back, I wasn't really sure WHERE the course went out too, there was a turn in there but I knew once I hit half way, I would just turn and run back. A lot easier to pace with this style course. Once I made half way, I bargained with myself to keep pushing til certain marks... then I would just change the mark. I told myself I was going to run it, the entire time. I knew I would be disappointed if I had to stop and walk. There were some challenges though, this course had no water and less spectators cheering along the course and no water stops. I also knew people running and wanted to push myself even harder to finish my goals and encourage them!

When you're runnning it feels like you're a breath or so away from being breathless. You're lungs are fully open, pumping oxygen through your entire body. Inhaling and exhaling deeply because your body needs the oxygen to run. Twice along the run, I took in a deep breath of second hand smoke - GROSS GROSS GROSS!!! The first was probably a 1/4 a mile through, cigar smoke. The second was probaly 3/4 some nursing staff was on a smoke break and we ran past them. DISGUSTING, I tell you, DISGUSTING!! I will never understand how anyone in health care can smoke. But to breath in their second hand smoke while running - so not fun! I wanted to gag!

The best part, I had enough energy left in me to Sprint in at the end! YEP! I passed up a good 5-7 women because I sprinted in at the end. Although, Rich said it didn't look like I was sprinting at all, lol. I'm sure he is right, my sprint couldn't have been super fast at the end but I felt it! My legs are so sore now!


After I finished I waited to cheer Nicole and Jill as they crossed the finish line! Then, I had to run off to Mariyn's last softball game. I got a bloody nose in the car... kinda weird. She played awesome, as did my whole team. I'm really going to miss coaching this group of girls. My legs were killing me as soon as our game started! The season always feels too short. I'm already looking forward to next year.







I still have my niece and nephew over, so after softball, I let them swim. Busy, busy day, I tell you. I made them come inside and watch a movie around 4:30 - 5 o'clock. I'm exhausted, my legs are dead... and now that I'm finally almost done with this blog I think the movie is over... I've got a bit over an hour left on baby sitting duty...

Have I mentioned we are so incredibly blessed! Glory to God for all the things he allows us to do! <3

2 comments: