Monday, June 28, 2010

Camping San Simeon

Living... that is what I want to do right? That's why I've been trying so hard to lose the weight, so that I can spend more time with my family enjoying life and being active. This weekend, we went camping in San Simeon -- Absolutely beautiful.

Did you hear that though, we went camping. I've never been one for camping. I don't mind the dirt or the outdoors. It's just a lot of work to set up camping, meal planning and of course the extra work involved in cooking and cleaning with limited resources. We've gone camping before but I usually make sure we are going somewhere that we can grab something to eat relatively easy. Umm... hello Cooking and cleaning is NOT a vacation. Can you see how this attitude contributes to my weight problem?

This time was going to be different though. I made the camping plans sort of as a way to celebrate father's day late for Rich; he was working father's day weekend. I wanted to make better eating choices but I still wanted to enjoy our trip without too much of the dreaded camping cooking and cleaning. I wanted to have a cheat weekend - where I didn't necessarily worry about every last calorie and I could enjoy my food like a normal person. A true vacation, I guess.

We left Friday afternoon, drove about 4 and a half hours to the coast. We needed to eat on the way, so we stopped at MacDonald's. I got a southwest chicken salad. Sounds a lot healthier than it was, I'm sure but I haven't eaten MacDonald's in probably a year. I'm not going to feel bad about it. We had cereal for breakfast every morning, I brought along my soy milk. Lunch Saturday, I made sandwiches Friday night we made burgers. I bought healthier sides, berries, spinach salad. But I also had my fair share of goodies: potato salad, roasted marshmallows, smores, etc. I enjoyed my fair share of food this weekend and don't let me fool you, I feel fatter already. BUT I exercised (walked/hiked/road bikes) this weekend and my portions weren't out of control. Even though I wasn't "dieting" this weekend I felt like I had better eating habits than before and was "normal". Except for the nagging voice in my head trying to count every calorie who kept telling me I shouldn't eat this or that. ha ha ha

Our weekend was truly incredible and the whole family enjoyed it. Including Rich. The weather was cold, a bit colder than I had anticipated. Our campgrounds were located very close to the shore. It was beautiful, lots of wild life. We seen a doe and her fawn (with spots still), tons of squirrels, star fish, elephant seals, and other sea life.

We seen so many cyclists. Rich seems even more set on getting a bike now. We had a fabulous time and I felt like we were truly active and ALIVE.

1 comment:

  1. That's great!! Sounds like fun, and sounds like you did fine with your food! I mean a salad at McDonalds??!! =)

    ReplyDelete