Monday, June 7, 2010

6-6-10

My internet is down, kinda sucks. Ok really sucks. My modem broke so I’ve got to replace it. In the meantime, I’m journaling in word and will post it when I have access again.

I got up early, 5 am and had to leave the house before 6 am in order to make the hour and half drive to Sacramento. Let me preface by saying, I’m not a morning person. I’ve never been a morning person. So getting up that early for me is a challenge in itself.

One word to describe Sunday’s 5K event at the Nike Women’s Fitness Festival – Amazing. I’ve lived in California my whole life and never actually been to the state capital before and it’s less than an hour and a half away. Kinda odd, I know.

I was excited and nervous to go to this event. Nervous because it was a really large event. Rich had to work. It was too far and early for my mom, so my daughters spent the night with her and she baby sat them so I could participate. None of my friends registered to run. It was me, all alone for the hour and a half drive and run. Over 3,400 women participating, the event sold out. It’s my first big event and I was excited. It was an awesome event and organized great. There were a few big sponsors and lots of vendors geared towards health and fitness. I actually found another event that I want to do, Princess Promenade, the largest all Women’s cycling event in California. Best part is it’s geared towards mothers and daughters. I promised Mariyn she could do a bike event once she got better with her bike. This seems like the perfect event for that.

The day was gorgeous and the atmosphere friendly, supportive, fun and breathtakingly beautiful. The weather was ideal. I arrived there around 7:30, I picked up my packet and walked around until the first wave began then watched and waited for my wave to start.

There were two waves running an 8 am start and 8:40am. I really debated on which wave I should do. The 8 am wave was for runners with a 10 minutes mile pace or faster. 8:40 for runners slower than 10 minutes including walkers, and those with strollers. I decided to register for the second wave. My decision was because I thought I could run the race between 10 and 11 minutes per mile pace. Awards were given in the first race to the top 3 finishers in each age bracket. I knew I wasn’t going to be one of those top 3. In the second wave, the awards were given out randomly. So I figured, I belonged in the second wave. I lined up at the front of the start line for my wave. I can’t how I felt. Nervous because it was such a big race. Excited to be able to participate and confident because I knew I was ready and able to complete the 3.1 mile distance.

My stomach had been upset for days. TMI WARNING I was constipated. I had had a BM since Weds. I felt extra heavy and bloated. I tried to eat lots of fresh fruit and fluids to get me going but nothing worked. When I told my mom Saturday night, she said I needed to be careful because I would have to go during my race. I was really hoping this wasn’t the case. I wanted to go before so I would feel better and be able to do my personal best. Yeah that didn’t happen. At about the 1.5 mile mark, my stomach just started turning. That meant 1 thing. I had to go soon. Ugghh… Should I stop and find a restroom? What would that do to my time? I know I’m not going to be happy if my time was bad. I wanted to be able to run this race because I knew I can. Despite the pain, I decided to push threw. I couldn’t see a restroom and I didn’t really know the area anyways. I knew there were restrooms at the finish line. I’d just have to make it.

There were so many runners. The route overlapped at times and you could really see all the women running and walking many with their children. I ran as quickly as I could. I pushed myself hard. I was able to sprint the last stretch. I could see the time clock at the finish line from a distance. It said 32 minutes (can’t remember the seconds) and I said to myself, run faster, run harder. Make it in less than 32 minutes 30 seconds and I did! My official time was 32 minutes 25 seconds.

Nike was at the event with a demo. You could actually test out Nike’s products for the race and return them at the end of the race –FREE. I’ve really been wanting a new pair of shoes so I sampled a pair and this pedometer/timer thing. So cool. To be honest, the shoes aren’t the right ones for me. Wrong fit I think but just to be able to essentially borrow them, run 3.1 miles and be able to give them back was really cool. I mean, what shoe store lets you do that? Not any that I know of. The gadget was pretty cool, not at all necessary for a race but would be great for training.

The free-bees were awesome. The event T-shirt is a super cute Nike dry fit T- designed for women. I love it! And it’s been so long since I’ve gotten anything new, I just might wear this one out! Ha ha. Plus we got a matching tote bag and water bottle. Super cute!

After the race there was a huge breakfast buffet and sampling by Blue Diamond Almonds and Whole Foods Market. The food was awesome and all health conscious. I got a variety of cereal, fruit, and drinks: almond milk, coconut water, and orange juice. Samples included trail mix, almonds, java city capital blend and organic tea. To be honest there was so much food, it’s hard to remember everything. Everything was so nice.

Oh - and I had my blood pressure taken while I was there. Kaiser Permanente had a huge health pavilion. I don’t have health insurance so I rarely go to the doctor. My blood pressure is usually on the high side of normal. It’s been a while since I had it checked but for the last few years that is where my blood pressure kind of hangs out at. Well, not any more! My blood pressure was 11/74 and a resting heart rate of 69. The nurse even commented that she wishes her resting heart rate was a 69 and that it was great! Amazing what diet and exercise can do for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment