Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Yoga

I've always thought that certain things are just for skinny people. Yoga for instance, seems like the type of exercise only long, limber, thin people should do. You know the ideal ballerina type. Anyone else would just stand out like a beached whale or sore thumb. Especially a short curvy person like myself. A few of the regulars at the gym have been doing yoga for a while. They have it twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday nights, right after Zumba. I've kinda sized up the ladies that stick around a time or two. To my surprise they were not all ballerina's. Not all their movements even seemed graceful. After seeing this, I decided that someday I would give Yoga a shot. Hey, why not, I've embarrassed myself before and lived through humiliation. I'm sure Yoga can't be any worse. Plus, it's at 6:30 a time that I sometimes go to the gym with Rich. I figured he can work out and sometimes, I could get my yoga on.

This morning, I got up and put in my 2 hours at the gym body pump and cycle. I didn't lift as heavy of weights as I normally do because I'm not feeling 100% after the accident. I feel ok, slightly weak and a little stiff/sore. I don't want to stop going to the gym because I feel like exercise is helping work the stiffness out. Plus, I want to keep up on my routine, no excuses right?

Tonight I did it, I braved Yoga. It seemed to really help with the stiffness and pain I was feeling. My body feels so relaxed. But don't let me fool you, some of those movements were hard! Even the ones that looked fairly easy, caused strain. My body really needed a good stretch, so I figured tonight was as good as any. Rich worked out while I braved Yoga. It was amazing looking around thin women, big women, old and young all gracefully stretching. I was able to tell, who was probably a regular and even the big women could be as flexible as the thin women.... AMAZING I tell you. Let me tell you... Yoga is no joke! I felt like I targeted some hard to tone muscles and strengthened my core. I thought I was just going in for a little rest and stretch. The class was far better than I expected and was much needed!

2 comments:

  1. I HATE yoga. HATE. I did it for about 2-3 months, and it just never seemed to get "easier" It was painful, I always didn't look forward to each class. I went out of habit and sense of obligation once I started the class. Every blue moon I consider giving it another try. lol. It definately isnt a quiet, rest, "easy" kind of class, as it is seemingly implied lol. It is one of my nemisis at this point. I scour when I hear the word Yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHa! I can see that! Depending on the instructor and how advanced the class is, I'm sure yoga and torture could be synonyms. When I first said something about trying a Thursday morning Yoga class, people told me I was crazy and that instructor was very difficult. Either was, it wasn't a restful class, but I did come out feeling stretched and relaxed, which is exactly what I needed.

    ReplyDelete