Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Running with Riyni

Clare and I finally had a gym date today. It felt good to have someone to run with today. It's been 2 weeks since our last gym date. I've been pretty consistent at the gym despite not having a work out partner. We got in about an hour of weights and 30 minutes on the treadmill. I did the first 20 running but decided to do a walking incline for the last 10. I was reading that you can actually burn more fat by doing walking, running intervals. I really want to try that but I also have to be prepared for my next race. It's coming up soon - May 15th.

Mariyn wants to run the 1 mile with me that day. I've decided that I'm going to let her. I told her she had to practice running. Let me tell you, that girl can run! But she does get winded easily, so she needs to work on pacing. Tonight we ran around my normal park route. It's a little over 1 mile, with a steep up hill at the end. This is the first time Mariyn ran this route and she did well but she got winded several times. I kept telling her to run slower like me but she wanted to beat me and so she wouldn't. She ran completely out of energy going up the hill and just couldn't keep up. If I wasn't such a paranoid parent, I would have left her behind but being that it is dark and I am that paranoid parent. I stopped and walked with her a bit. I told her when you run, your supposed to run in medium pace, so you can last longer. Save your super fast pace for the very end. When she caught her breath, we ended up sprinting in and she did in fact beat me. I can't say I'm faster than her... She gets so excited running with me. I absolutely love it.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you both!! I use to run with my Dad when i was little... Is Ryini a nickname for Mariyn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mariyn has a ton of nicknames, Riyni is just one of them ;-) I know it looks funky written because I take the spelling from her name. It's pronounced like RIN-ee.

    ReplyDelete