Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Too Much Too Soon

Mondays are often struggles for me. I struggle with finding the motivation to get out of the house and back to the gym after the weekend. I always feel so accomplished one I'm there. Yesterday, was no different and I got a great workout, Spin in.

I had a busy day Christmas shopping. I've spent the entire weekend shopping but didn't really buy anything, I had my girls with me and just wanted to get ideas for everyone. I made a Costco trip and went to the mall before I had to pick up my daughter from school. We got our Christmas tree yesterday too. It's so pretty.

After the girls went to bed, I went for my run with Zumara. My ankle had been doing fine. No soreness at all and it felt stronger. All day, I kept thinking it was healed. About a mile into our run, I hear a Popping and grinding sound. My ankle was unstable, it hurt and it couldn't support my weight. I sat there, in agony, and cried. I had Zumara call Richard to come pick me up. I couldn't talk it hurt so bad. There was no way I would have made it home on my own.

I'm so disappointed in my self and with my body. No run is worth an injury and now, I've re-injured myself worse than the original injury. Why? I push myself hard. I pushed myself too hard too soon. Obviously, my body wasn't ready for running yet and I thought I could do it. Too much too soon.

This injury means, no Holiday run this weekend in Venice/Santa Monica with the rest of my family. This injury probably means no running for the rest of December. This injury probably means no half marathon January 2nd.

I struggled so much last week to get back into things after taking time off last time. Then, to be taking more time off not only with running but at the gym. It's going to set me back. I'm going to have to build up my running abilities again. Not to mention the struggles I will have with my weight loss. It's disappointing to say the least.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Sara, I'm so sorry. I know how much fitness and working out mean to you. Total bummer about the runs too. I'll be praying for you!!! Try to keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM SO SORRY! Really I feel terrible for you. If I were you I would rest until you can at least walk on it, then swim. Does your gym have a pool?? This could be a great opportunity for you to work on swimming if you are gonna do a triathlon next season. Hope it heals super quick. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendra - Thank you. Prayers are much appreciated. I think I too need to do some praying.

    Adrienne - I was thinking about swimming too but my gym doesn't have a pool and unfortunately, it's too cold to swim in mine. I might check in to Masters swim classes at public pools if it last too long. But you're right I need to rest it until I can walk on it w/o pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara,

    I wish there was something I could say to make everything better, but I know how I'd feel if I were in your shoes. As a matter of fact, I was about 20+ years ago when I used to run. I injured the ball of my foot really bad. It took six weeks to heal and when I tried to start running again, I had lost my endurance. I was so disappointed that I never ran again. It's sad, but true. I know better now. I should have just started from where I was and kept on going.

    I hope you'll take this time to rest and try to find other forms of exercise that you can do. And above all, try to stay positive. We're all here cheering for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimberlynn - Thank you for sharing. No doubt, I'm disappointed and discouraged but this too shall pass. I'm going to take this time off to re-evaluate my journey and pray.

    ReplyDelete