Monday, March 28, 2011

Conquering the 5K

We came, we saw, we conquered the 5K on Saturday. That's right, I said we conquered it! Mariyn and I got up early to register and run the 5K. My daughter is 8 and loves to do anything mommy is into. She's ran other runs, but this was her first 5K. She was excited, I was excited. It was fun. We got to the run and seen lots of friendly and familiar faces. Mariyn was excited, she really wanted to earn a medal. She was a bit nervous about running a 5K, she would have choosen the mile if I let her. But I knew she could finish the 3 miles and I knew that I would need her and she would need me too. The race started and she started sprinting. I couldn't keep up with her. Luckily, I know she would only be able to keep this pace for a little while. Soon, she slowed and I caught up. About one mile in to the race she started complaining, the run was too hard. She didn't want to run more than 1 mile, etc, etc. Whinning like most kids do when they don't want to do something. We had a few little pep talks. I knew she could do it, she just needed to be pushed. Finally the pep talks ended with me telling her, you better run because your embarrassing me and yourself whinning like a baby in front of all these people and a threat to spank her for her bad behavior. Yeah a little extreme, I know but it worked. She stopped whinning and focused more on running. We walked ran most of the run. Mariyn was tired. I wasn't used to running at all anymore and was extra cautious because of my injury. After all this was my first run out. Mariyn swore she would never run another 5K again but seemed very satisfied and proud of her accomplishment when she finished. Mariyn finished the 5K 38 minutes 57 seconds. I was right behind her at 39 minutes 5 seconds. My slowest 5K time ever. But that doesn't matter much to me. What matters, is I finished it. And I'm running again. Gaining my strength stride by stride. As soon as we were done with running, we had to go to take our pictures for softball. I got a phone call later that day telling me Mariyn won 1st place in her age group! Yeah, I know 38 minutes doesn't sound speedy but remember my kid is 8. She was so proud of her medal and her accomplishment. She even thanked me for pushing her to do the 5K. Mariyn and I both know it's not that she is the fastest runner out there but it's that she ran farther than most 8 years olds can, want to or will. And had she done the 1 mile, she probably wouldn't have one. It's that drive to do more is what got her first place. Now, of course she wants to run a 5K again. Just goes to show, if my 8 year old daughter can run a 5K anyone who wants to, can. Can you say proud mommy? Pics to share of course :) Pre-Race Mommy and Mariyn My proud little girl, in her softball clothes with her medal.

2 comments:

  1. Wooohooo!!! You two are awesome. It's so sweet that you ran this together. I just love her attitude in this picture. She's too cute. Great job on getting back in the "race". It's good to have you back blogging too.

    Be blessed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you both!! Time doesn't matter. It's that you finished. Awesome job. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete