Saturday, March 19, 2011

Softball

At the age of 8, I was introduced to my first love. Softball. I played competitively until the age of 18. In the spring and summer, I was always on the field. There was really nothing, I loved more than playing ball, being competitive and my team.

It's this love for softball that kept me athletic and in shape. I always wanted to play my best. As an adult, I've continued to play softball in recreational leagues until I had Amelia. I've coached my older daughter's teams and hope to pass down the love of the sport to her. We have a lot of fun together and as a team. It keeps us especially busy this time of year.

Lately though, I've had so much stress and drama being involved with the softball board that I questioned my love for the game. Once we had our first practice of the season, it didn't take long to remember all the reasons I love the game. Coaching is a true joy. Spending the quality time with my daughter is a blessing.

However, I wanted more. I miss playing. I know I can't be as active as I want with my running but I can do somethings. I needed to do something for me. I joined a women's rec team. We will be playing on Friday nights. During the Spring, I will be substituting / on call when regulars can't make it. But come Summer league, I will have a regular spot on the team. I'm excited. I know subbing doesn't sound like much but it's perfect for me right now. Tuesday, I had my first practice with the rec league. It was great and so much fun just hitting the balls. It's been about 5 years since I played but it felt like yesterday. Hitting balls is such a great stress reliever too. Makes me want to go to the batting cages.

Today, Mariyn and I bought matching cleats. ha ha Silly I know. The cleats, I had were so old they litterally were seperating from the sole. Probably not from use, but from time. I've had them since I was 16ish years old. It was time for a new pair and Mariyn's excited to have the same pair as her mom. :0) I love my girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment