Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I made it!

I made it! Yes, I made it to the gym today. I woke up and pushed myself to get out of bed and get ready before I dropped Mariyn off to school. Then anxiously, I waited around until 9:15 to head over. I was nervous about not getting a bike, if I didn't get there in time. I wasn't mentally prepared to do something other than cycle today. I didn't know if physically I can do cycle... let alone anything that requires more impact. I didn't want to push myself too hard, my first time back.

Anyways, I got to the gym 30 minutes early and there was already a line of about 10 people. Got my ticket. Talked to many of the regulars. It felt good to be back. I checked in with the instructor, Gosh, I missed her.

I decided that if my ankle started to hurt, I should probably just leave. The last thing I want to do is re-injure myself or jmake my injury worse. Getting on the bike was so uncomfortable! I know you have to get used to the seat but really, you can't help but wonder if therei s any getting used to this amount of discomfort. I used very light resistance, I wanted to be careful. I felt good though. My body responded well in terms of strength and endurance. However, after a few songs, my ankle started to bother me. I had a hard time telling if I was over doing it or if my ankle was sore because it was weak. I almost decided to just leave. Stick to the plan you know. But I was feeling so good - can you say, ENDORPHINS! I decided to turn down my resistance and try to push through a few more songs. At least to 30 minutes, I told myself. I ended up making it through the whole class. My ankle was tired but my body felt good.

I've decided my break is over. I'm back. I might not be able to go as hard core as I was but I'm back none the less. I have to start somewhere. So here I am, starting again today from where I am. I'm going to start with the less strenous instructors and classes then build on what I CAN do. Honestly, I'm still in great shape. I might not have been to the gym in months but after working out for over a year 5 days a week several hours a day. I know I've got an advantage. Muscle memory, I'm not at square one. I felt good, cardiovascularly, strength and endurance. I'm starting from where I am. An injured athlete who is determined to be fit.

My next date at the gym, will be Thursday. I'm going to rest my ankle and attempt 2-3 days a week until I'm completly healed.

1 comment:

  1. Great job! Happy for you! Was good talking to you today. :)

    ReplyDelete