Monday, January 3, 2011

Tale of Two Gyms

On NYE I posted that I tried out a different gym and went swimming. I was lucky enough to get a 30 day pass. I plan on using it as much as possible the next month, but the gym is 30 minutes away from my home. It's going to take extra planning and effort to get over there and use the gym.

On a different note, I was surprised the other day when going to this gym. Let's call it gym B. Gym B is the largest chain of gyms in my area and probably the most popular but it's not a national chain. The gym I go to, is a national chain but only has a few location in my area (2) and both franchises are owned by the same person/family.

I was a little nervous to go to gym B. A new gym can be very intimidating. The girls and I went with a coupon/certificate thing from my mom. We had to listen to the regular sales pitch in order to get the month pass. I'm not at all interested in signing a contract before I can even use a facility but whatever... I listened, I said no thank you. It wasn't hard to do because the monthly rates are 3 times the amount I am paying, childcare is $5 a month cheaper though. I got a 30 day pass. Upon entering gym B was very different from what I am used to. There were a lot more employees at the gym than mine. And they looked different -- well just average. Many of them, were overweight some obese. At my gym (A), everyone is thin and very attractive. When I started working out, I knew everyone at Gym A was attractive and thin but I just figured that is what all gyms do. They have to sell their membership/concept, right?

After listening to the sells pitch, I put my girls in the childcare. Gym B's childcare facilities are far superior to gym A. The girls had a great time, played and made friends. Always a plus. I took to the locker room and quickly changed for my swim.

The pool was indoors small but long, warm and chemically. I know I'm spoiled because I have my own pool and don't have to use a lot of chemicals. So I'm willing to look past that. There was another lady using the pool. The sauna and spa were also in the pool area. Two guys, who looked like "homies" were hanging out pool side watching. Kinda felt odd but they were there before I was... So I got in and swam. I tried to count laps but I always lose track. I swam for 30 minutes and it just felt so good to be exercising again. It was relaxing and a nice option for me right now.

I got out of the pool and the homies finally left. I got changed, grabbed my kids and left gym B. It will be a huge blessing for me this winter. But I can't get over how different the two gyms really are. Then there is this awkward part of me that feels like I was unfaithful/cheating on gym a, my gym. Weird, I know.

I'm hoping to squeeze in more swim/gym time into my schedule this week.

3 comments:

  1. Personally I don't care if everyone at a gym is fit and pretty-but that is just me. As long as they are nice I don't care I guess. And all gyms I have been to are pretty different, even some that are the same chain are pretty different. But hey, as long as you are happy that is the key-happy environment makes you want to go back, right?

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like my gym (Gym B that is)!! Chemically pool, with homies in the spa or sauna watching the swimmers. LOL G;ad you are able to swim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Polar's mom - I personally don't care whether or not the girls who check me in are skinny or pretty. Makes no difference in how I am going to work out. Most important factor is customer service, friendliness. It was just a difference that I noticed. My gym (a)was friendly upon my first visit too *and usually are to me* but they need major improvement on customer service in general,as I've witnessed things over the last year. But it's the only gym in my town that provides childcare and has the most amenities. Otherwise I'm driving 30 minutes each way to get to a gym with comparable amenities. Which is a lot harder to commit to daily.

    ReplyDelete