Friday, January 14, 2011

Peace of Mind

I finally went to the doctor today about my ankle. Yeah it's still bothering me. A lot. It's not the worst pain in the world but it's consistent and it's pain. Plus my foot/ankle just looks funny. Since I don't have insurance I've been avoiding going but I know I needed to go now. If not for anything other than peace of mind that I'm not doing more harm than good to my foot. I want to be able to run again, play softball and train. I want to create goals for 2011 but before I can even do that I have to be able to know I can workout.

I really don't have the extra money to waste on testing and doctor visits just to find out I'm fine. I don't have health insurance either so I'm cautious about going to the doctor. I realized this week that my primary injury is nearly 2 months old and my secondary injury (the worse of the two) is over a month old. I think it's time to see a doctor.

Doc said, I've torn ligaments in my ankle. There are 3 rubber band like ligaments around your ankle and I tore/strained one of them very severely and possibly fractured a small peice of the bone. He said it would take approx 3-6 months to heal from my injury but my ankle is surprisingly stable for the type of injury I have. He didn't do an X-Ray or MRI today because he feels it wouldn't change the treatment of the injury at this time. Unless you are a professional athlete they typically do not operate on these injuries. It will take a while, he said but it should heal on it's own. If I go over 6 months without healing then we should consider surgery and other options. For now, he said I am doing everything just right. Ibuprofen, Ice, Wrap and no impact.

He said I could continue to swim that it's an excellent workout for my type of injury. I'm relived - not because my injury is better but because I know I will get better. Some day, in God's time. I'm anxious to fill my racing calendar but I know my first goal to to get healthy so I can be active again.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you went, and am glad it's a good prognosis, but...I do admit, that 6 months thing makes me anxious. So I can imagine how you feel!
    I have to share with you, I am so disappointed. I went on this morning and I was going to just impulsively and before I could think sign up for a half marathon. I went to sign up for the Disney Princess Marathon at the end of Feburary. Panicked when I saw it was at 91% capacity. Clicked to register and saw it was 140 bucks. 140 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was thinking 60-70 maybe even 80, but 140? I had to decline because I won't have the 140 before they are at capacity. I am looking at other halfs but most dont give me a time to train and others are too far. There is quite a break of time between spring and winter races. So it's either now, or end of next year :( I WILL find something.

    Sherri
    http://40willbefabulous.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad you went! I am confident you will be better very soon and back at running and racing. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete